The University of Surrey, in partnership with Guildford City Swimming Club, is proud to be a host of just one of five Swim England Performance Centres in the country. We provide student swimmers with a fantastic opportunity to balance their athletic and academic development.
We offer different opportunities within our programme for different levels of athletes, the Elite Squad, BUCS Competitive Squad and Social Squad. This programme enables us to tailor our training and coaching to give our performance athletes the best possible opportunity for development.
Admission to Elite Performance Squad:
- Places are limited with final decisions made by the University of Surrey Swimming Coaches in association with the University of Surrey Head of Student Sport.
- Athletes must have achieved the minimum standard of a time equal to or faster than those stated in Table A below in the season prior to admission (this applies to both freshers and returning students).
- First claim membership to both the University of Surrey Swimming and Water Polo Club and Guildford City Swimming Club.
Maintaining place in Elite Performance Squad:
- Commitment to a 48 week programme.
- Attending the appropriate weekly pool and strength & conditioning training sessions as directed by the Lead University Coach.
- Achieving yearly performance progression as defined by performance objectives agreed with the Lead University Swimming Coach. This includes but is not limited to pool performances, training performances (pool and land), nutritional and psychological objectives.
- Committing to the full competition programme across both BUCS and ASA affiliated meets.
Long Course Standard Performance Times
Elite Performance Squad – 20 hours Pool Training and 5 hours Land Training per week
|Morning||5:55 – 8:00||5:55 – 8:00||5:55 – 8:00||Invitation||9:00 – 11:00|
|Evening||16:45 – 19:00||16:45 – 19:00||14:00 – 16:00||16:45 – 19:00||18:45 – 21:00|
|Land||19:15 – 20:15||19:15 – 20:15||19:15 – 20:15||17:30 – 18:30||8:00 – 8:55|